Wednesday 13 November 2019

All my hot water bottles are red...

and it has always been so. Yesterday, replacing a worn one (I am an 11 1/2 months of the year hot water bottle girl!), I dithered over the blue or the red before, as always, buying the red...Why?

More than half a century ago there was a very important general election and, a confused child, just beginning to take an interest in the outside world, I asked my Dad how he and Mum would vote. He explained carefully that democracy meant a secret ballot and what that meant. And then he winked and added that I only had to look at their new hot water bottles to know...his was blue - in those innocent pre-Thatcher days Dad was a tory voter. Mum's new bottle was red...
It took that poor confused child months to work out that there was no connection between party politics and the colour of your hot water bottle. But I have always bought red ones.

No comments:

Post a Comment