Thursday 4 June 2020

Return to winter...

Well, not really, though it is MUCH colder...

I was listening to an excellent talk this morning, while fettling my pots.
The speaker, Sahajatara, read quite a long extract from Mary Webb's 'Precious Bane'...
Ooh, I thought, that's a book which survived the recent cull - based on the 'never read/never gonna read' method.

So I extracted my copy from the lowest bookshelf, blew off the dust and opened it to read a random page or two...

But a postcard fell out (I often use postcards as bookmarks, sometimes relevant ones). A postcard of Monet's The Water Garden, written by my Mum and sent by my parents from Paris in 1988..

Quite a memory for me...in July 1988, we were about to adopt our two girls, and we're having a sun-filled week in Corfu. My mother's writing was still quite legible...she was suffering from Parkinson's Disease, which was beginning to take its toll...

So I went to find the postcard from the following year's trip, which lives on the dresser... by early October 1989 Mum's handwriting had deteriorated a bit. Dad had addressed the card, from the Lake District, and added an annotation: 'my thoughts drift ever your way'

For I was in hospital, about to give birth to Ben...our July holiday that year  had been in Cornwall, with two 'challenging' girls and a seven-month bump!

SO many memories to be gleaned from old postcards...

On a forward-looking note, I created a stonkingly good sourdough too!




No comments:

Post a Comment