Sunday 5 July 2020

Calloo-callay!

Many years ago (not many, many...just many), there were days like today on our Irish holidays in late August. At the end of one particularly wild and sunny day, full of beach-walks, swimming, probably water-sports, rainbows and storms - I was dropped at the local 'supermarket' to pick up supplies for the hungry hordes. I would have been in cut-off Levi's and a hat, wind-buffeted and sunburnt. And was chatted-up, in an easy way, by the man behind the deli counter as I bought sausages, or coleslaw or...something.
"Mighty day!" he proclaimed, and I agreed. And this has passed into our shared language, complete with soft Irish accent, so it presents as "Moighty day!"

Today was like that, wild and sunny. Only today was extra-special, as I met up with my mate for the first time in nearly four months, for a walk along the prom...

Mum and Dad would have quoted Jabberwocky...
"Oh, frabjous day, calloo callay!"

Frabjous, indeed...

No comments:

Post a Comment