Monday 20 July 2020

The Other Side of You...


Yesterday, unaccountably hurt, I retreated, as I do, into my book - and finished it late last night. 
Again...cos it is another of those old favourites, to which I return again and again to righten my world.

I once read a book called 'Brother of the More Famous Jack' - of which I remember nothing, except the clever title.
'The Other Side of You' (a quote from TS Eliot, the Bible and other stuff) is one of those books, of which I have quite a few, which I adore, but which are a lesser-known title by the author.
In this case Salley Vickers - most people who read modern novels will have read, or know of 'Miss Garnet's Angel'. 
I also infinitely prefer 'So Many Ways to Begin' to Jon McGregor's 'If Nobody Speaks if Remarkable Things'.
And 'Of Love and Shadows' to 'House of Spirits'...
And 'Devisadero' to 'The English Patient' - but only by a whisker...
And, above all, 'Human Traces' slated by critics and readers alike, but which I love waaay more than 'Birdsong'...

Please come and raid my bookshelves...I could talk books with you all day.

(I wonder if I should find a lesser-known Ferrante than 'My Brilliant Friend' and if I would love it EVEN more?)

No comments:

Post a Comment