Wednesday 19 August 2020

Sourdough fun or 'quarts into pint-pots'

Like so many others, I have discovered THE best way to bake Sourdough loaves is in a heavy, lidded cast iron pot, sometimes called a Dutch Oven.
My fabulous oval orange Le Creuset, vintage 1978 (a wedding present) is perfect for this:
My even older (Mum's? Grandmother's?) colander makes a perfectly adequate 'proving basket'. 
It is however round, as colanders are wont to be, and sometimes my ready-to-bake proved loaves are SO huge these days that a little squishing is sadly necessary..

'I need a large round cast-iron pot'!
I look online...'How much???!!!'
£230!!!
I need a little lateral-thinking!

Aha! I buy instead an oval proving basket (actually an old Pyrex, minus it's lid)
£2 in a charity shop...whew!

2 comments:

  1. Gemma was making Max's birthday cake, 'MIL,where's your mixing bowl?'
    'My what?'
    'Mixing bowl, for mixing cakes'
    'Mixing? Cakes? Are you saying they don't all grow on shops?'
    I am 'a lost cause' but we knew that already!

    ReplyDelete