Tuesday 5 January 2021

H.w.g.a #17

So there it was, a couple of weeks before Christmas, and Alistair says, 'let's get in some curries for Christmas, what do the supermarkets have?'
'Hmm', says I, 'they're boring though, I was thinking you would be really good at curries,  if you got into them. All that "take 5 1/2 crushed coriander seeds" stuff...'
So we ordered a couple of Madhur Jaffrey's books from the library, picked them up JUST before the Lock-down shut everything again, and Wow!
Curry-making has really taken off as a new interest for Alistair, he is pouring over recipes, and I am (happily) relegated to sous-chef and senior advisor.
I am being fed, and how! But I joke that this is becoming an obsession, and feel like Dr. Frankenstein:
'I have created a monster!'

Today I walked into town to get essentials and had one of 'those' conversations with 'sometimes-grumpy' shopkeeper:
Him: 'I heard today that we're being encouraged to keep up our Christmas lights for 40 days to cheer everyone up'
Me: 'Hmm, to be honest, I don't think sparkly lights would really cheer me up'
Him: 'So, I'm agog...what would cheer you up?'
Me: 'Well, as you ask, just this...just having conversations with friends, even at a 2metre distance, that and the kindness of strangers...'

No comments:

Post a Comment