Sunday 25 October 2020

The Firebreak Files #2

Twenty four hours down the line and my leg is beginning to feel better...lots of rest, recuperation and reading, as prescribed!
Really I'm just thankful it was not far worse - if I had turned the other way and Baskerville had hit my shin...really NOT the time to be in A&E with shattered bones!

Last night we watched, as we often do on a Saturday evening, some old clips from TotP on some Freeview channel...the Big Hits '64-'75...GlamRock of the mid seventies looked quite grey and sedate in comparison with what was on offer on live TV.  Even the previews of Strictly made my eyes ache!

Earlier, while still wallowing in the sixties, he, for some obscure reason, asked: 'What IS a Fandango, anyway?'
As if the rest of the words of 'Whiter Shade of Pale' made any sense whatsoever!!

I am reading, for the second time this year, Ferrante's 'Neapolitan Quartet', and have got to the final volume, the harrowing 'Story of the Lost Child'. In which Lenu and Lila grow old, sometimes together. My bookmark is a card sent me by my best mate, years ago, and we spend some time on Whatsapp this afternoon wondering which of us is which of the two elderly ladies. And which of us is Lenu and which Lila...

No comments:

Post a Comment