Friday 5 October 2018

12

#homealonediaries12

Today we are all about connections...

At least 35 years ago I had a bit of a 'thing' about JB Priestley and came across a little orange Penguin paperback copy of 'Bright Day'...the same copy is in front of me now, a little more 'foxed'...
The story revolves around a middle-aged man's memories of his childhood in the North - recollections which are triggered by hearing a particular piece of Schubert. I have always been fascinated by memory, by connections, by 'ghosts' , and loved this book (still do ...). I remember visiting various music shops in Cambridge with my Mum in tow, to track down a tape copy of the piece...it was a lovely connection between her passions and mine, and I still have it, though she is long gone - at that time she was just beginning to show 'Parkinsonian' symptoms...

So there I was today, walking the dogs in the morning sunshine and Schubert came into my ears - via my phone and the wonders of technology, and I mused on how easy it is, by comparison, to track down a piece these days - and how unchanging is the Schubert...

More connections were strengthened and established in town later over chance coffee with friends, and the collection of my chocolate from TreeHouse (thank you Isobel Powys!)

Home to logsawing and listening in to the neighbourhood.

Remember peeps - "the main thing is not to forget the main thing..."

https://youtu.be/hk20HJJ0bhw

No comments:

Post a Comment