Friday 5 October 2018

4

#homealonediaries4
Phew, what a day!
Was woken by Kitty, wanting to go outside and see to the squirrel who has eaten ALL the peanuts...
I was dressed and drinking tea when the doorbell rang and Kitty was enthusiastically welcoming a familiar-looking stranger.
"You know me" he said (I do?). Turned out he is a garden contractor, from whom I had foraged an old wooden ladder last year...and wanted to "borrow" my outside tap. No problem, I left him to it and walked the dogs ...the rain was just starting.
"Does your husband still go kayaking?" he asked on my return, "only I have a difficult teenage son who would love to go out but doesn't manage groups"...
Caught in the headlights of every kind of health and safety concern, I was able to demur on Alistair's behalf - Seriously?!
But he was very complimentary about what we had done..."beautiful house, beautiful garden, beautiful dogs..."
Woah, I'll stop you there - I am home alone after all!

By this time the rain was coming down in stair-rods and I donned more waterproofs to meet a friend for coffee on the prom.  The proprieter is a neighbour...a waiter brought us sticky, sweet cakes 'on the house' and our coffees were also complimentary. I wonder if I shall ever need sugar again...

With ten minutes to spare before the bus I dip into a local shop where I had previously found good long-sleeved t-shirts. They didn't have any vaguely small and the young woman serving organised to order some for me. I memorise her name-tag (Hannah) while she does the paperwork and she promises to phone. I turn to leave..."I'm not Hannah, by the way, I'm Sam..."

Hahaha...onwards and upwards to the bus stop and to pick up my beautiful extra dog for the afternoon.
By this time my waterproofs are not... He gives me that "are you serious?!" look as I put his lead on, and we squelch home, meeting no-one.

It is still only early afternoon, but I have had it...the sugar-rush cake has dumped me with a headache and I am glad of several hours silence. And my fire...

Tiles? What tiles?

No comments:

Post a Comment