Friday 27 March 2020

The Lock-Down Diaries Day Four

Today I walked the dog!
Yeah, I know, but Kitty really needs a good long walk every day, or else she would be crashing about muttering "Round and round the garden, like a teddy-bear..."

So we set off up the back path on the cliff towards Kitty's Field. At the top, outside the deserted Consti Cafe, a young family were taking their daily exercise together...the young couple were kick-boxing noisily, while their two children were happily climbing the upturned picnic table. She, with better long sight than I would claim,  recognised me...we had danced together at one of E-M's wonderful evenings, in those far off halcyon days when we could dance and hug and touch strangers...

Today we are musing on connections.
Off we strolled, Kitty and I, to her field, and took a detour when we caught sight of two shiny-haired women sitting close, with the beautiful world spread out in front of them, as far as the eye could see. Were they mother and daughter, I mused? Sisters? Flat-mates? Lovers? 

We carry on with our walk, in the glorious sunshine and, reaching the top of the golf-club, strike out across the deserted course. We haven't walked up here, on the greens, even in the evening, for four years or so, since Notices went up...Kitty couldn't read them, but, sadly I could.

Close enough to call greetings, we connect with another young mother and her little boy, out enjoying their exercise. Lovely memories that evokes for me...slooow strolls with toddler Ben, looking at everything with his new eyes...

Later today was a milestone connection with my study- buddies. On Skype. Yeah, me... talky-talky into my headphone microphone, while sitting alone in the attic, slurping tea and watching the unchanging sea from the best window in the world.

Connections, connections...I have a WhatsApp conversation with Ben, closeted in his flat in London, about the books we are sharing.

Meanwhile, my brother,  almost the longest connection in my life, in his adopted homeland of Northern Italy, is 62 today. I think of him, wryly singing Happy Birthday to Me in his bathroom mirror. 
Twice...


No comments:

Post a Comment